From: main@... <main@...> On Behalf Of Andrew Wilkinson
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 6:53 AM
To: main@...
Subject: Re: [akraino] Use cases and Blueprints

The approach of a Specification within a given Blueprint to fully define a POD aims to allow the example you mentioned i.e. the addition of a server without changing the blueprint.

One way or another though the POD is different and needs to be captured somehow.

Let’s discuss in the working group later

Andrew

From: Glenn Seiler

To: main<main@...>

Time: 2018-09-05 14:03:18

I don’t love the idea of using the term BluePrint for the functional development projects.

I think the term is already overloaded enough, and there is already some confusion between the term blueprint as it applies to OpenStack and an Akraino Integration blueprint.

I like the term blueprint as it applies to things are being ‘built’ or integrated from multiple sources, with potentially multiple regulations  (or standards) to apply and potentially with very different components (HW, VIM, MW or APIs) etc.   Using the same term to apply to a more focused and singular project may be pretty confusing.

Perhaps we could do something more consistent with what OPNFV is doing? Using project proposals/plans to define and propose new functional projects.

-glenn

From: Thomas Nadeau

To: main<main@...>

Time: 2018-09-05 08:00:05

The idea for doing everything in blueprints is that it brings visibility into any work that impacts the project to both the TSC, but also clearly in writing so any others (i.e.: integration, testing, etc...) that might be external to the project have clear information about what is planned or underway.  On a related note, I view blue prints as being largely analogous to epics, and in the same way are a good way to plan for a current or future release, and just a good way to organize the moving parts of a large project like this one potentially can turn out to be.

--Tom

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM Wenjing Chu <Wenjing.Chu@...> wrote:

As long as we agree that such work should take place in Akraino, then it’s just naming. Yes, we could have a “non-integration blueprint”, but it seems really confusing to me.

Wenjing

In the last developer conference, TSC has taken an AI to come out with the Akraino charter definition.

Much of the discussion on last developer conference is mostly about blueprints, except for one break-out session.

In regional orchestration, Edge API and AI breakout session, we talked about the need for them and the consensus is that Akraino project is the right place to develop them.  In one of the Kandan’s presentation, it was clear that Akraino is not only for developing blueprints for various use cases, but is also a home for Edge related open source projects for the functionality where there is a gap in the open source community. Please consider making the Akraino charter clear on the aspect of development projects to avoid any confusion.

Thanks

Srini

Re: Use cases and Blueprints

bob monkman

Thanks Andrew, Srini,

              We will certainly need something like the concept of a Blueprint Specification to address variants of a common general blueprint where a certain OS, CPU Arch, SDN Controller, Vswitch is utilized.

Regards,

Bob

Robert (Bob) Monkman

Director, Networking Software Strategy & Ecosystem Programs

Arm

150 Rose Orchard Way

San Jose, Ca 95134

M: +1.510.676.5490

> [...]

  1. Any addition of additional SW packages to NFVI requires new blueprint. Yes?

>>Again don’t think so – this will explode the number of Blueprints

>>A different selection of functionalities from those support in a given the Blueprint Specification Template for a given Akraino release would allow one to deploy different SW within the same Blueprint

>>BUT the same question arises about mixing in the same POD deployed by a given Blueprint + Specification as you raised for the OS mixing

>>Think we need more discussion here

  1. If there is a version change in Openstack (say moving from Newton to Pike), SDN Controller or K8S, does it require new blueprint or a new version of the blueprint?  New version?

>>I’d see this as a change to the blueprint specification not the blueprint itself – i.e. one selects a different OS SW “plugin’ from the template

Glenn Seiler

Yes, thank you Wenjing

That is what I was referring to – I think an integration project and a functional project are very  different and the blueprints for each would be substantially different enough that calling them both a ‘blueprint’ dilutes what the original intent of the Akraino blueprint was intended to be.

-glenn

Wenjing Chu <Wenjing.Chu@...>

> [...]

-glenn

In the last developer conference, TSC has taken an AI to come out with the Akraino charter definition.

Much of the discussion on last developer conference is mostly about blueprints, except for one break-out session.

In regional orchestration, Edge API and AI breakout session, we talked about the need for them and the consensus is that Akraino project is the right place to develop them.  In one of the Kandan’s presentation, it was clear that Akraino is not only for developing blueprints for various use cases, but is also a home for Edge related open source projects for the functionality where there is a gap in the open source community. Please consider making the Akraino charter clear on the aspect of development projects to avoid any confusion.

Use cases and Blueprints

Srini

[...]

2.      Is OS version expected to be common across all servers? If there is a flexibility, adding a new OS version considered as new blueprint or a new version of existing blueprint? New version?

3.      Any support for new site level orchestrator requires new blueprint.  Yes?

4.      Any support for new SDN controller requires new blueprint. Yes?

5.      Any support for new fabric switches requires new blueprint. Yes?

6.      Any addition of additional SW packages to NFVI requires new blueprint. Yes?

7.      If there is a version change in Openstack (say moving from Newton to Pike), SDN Controller or K8S, does it require new blueprint or a new version of the blueprint?  New version?

[...]

locked Re: Akraino community call on Thursday September 6 11-12 Eastern Time

Tapio Tallgren

Yes, the idea is that this would be a weekly call.