Date

Re: [Akraino TSC] New project presentation in Akraino Technical Call today: IEC Type 5: SmartNIC for Integrated Edge Cloud (IEC)

Tina Tsou

Dear all,

Please refer to these sections in Akraino Technical Community Document.

3.3.2.3   Akraino Validation Projects
Multiple labs will be used to validate Akraino projects to ensure production quality of blueprint and/or feature project releases. The Community CI lab is owned by the Akraino community and LF. In addition a number of Edge Validation labs are owned by an Akraino community company, organization or participant.
Comprehensive validation of the blueprint within the community will include testing of the OS layer, the undercloud layer, the upper cloud layer, VNF layer and the application layer. Test results should be available to the Akraino Edge Stack community for review via automated push to the wiki.  Any defects identified should be logged in JIRA and assigned to the responsible party.  When defects are identified in upstream components, Akraino coordinators should be assigned defect ownership.  Akraino coordinators will work with upstream communities to resolve defects. For defects that do not involve upstream communities, impacted Protect Technical Leaders should be assigned defect ownership.
Akraino Validation Projects will also include testing of Akraino releases.
An automation framework should be used for test procedures and leverage existing test automation suites for upstream projects as required.  It is the responsibility of the blueprint submitter to ensure that the Edge Validation and Community CI labs can support comprehensive validation of the blueprint and cover all use case characteristics.
The TSC subcommittees tasked with the setup and structuring of operating procedures for the validation labs shall work to define the licensing requirements for the external labs.

3.3.2.3.1   Feature project unit testing in Community CI lab
The Akraino Community CI labs are owned by the Akraino community and LF. Access is controlled by LF best practices.
TSC will propose a subcommittee to maintain and coordinate the Community CI lab.
The following would be conducted in the Community CI lab:
Unit testing of Feature projects or
Integration of Feature projects to a blueprint
Upstream projects together in the support of Akraino Blueprints.
 A full CD that works with the Akraino CI pipeline should be included in the validation project.

3.2.2.3.2   Blueprint and application testing in Akraino Edge Validation lab
Akraino Edge Validation labs are owned by an Akraino community company, organization or participant.
The Validation labs can be owned and operated by the supplier of the lab with limited access or no access to the hardware but results of the validation testing need to be shared to the community.
TSC will propose a subcommittee to maintain and coordinate the Validation labs.
Blueprint, application and VNF testing may be performed over a number of Validations labs concurrently in a coordinated manner as required.
The Validation labs should be able to connect to Akriano Edge Stack CI hosted by LF to pull in Akraino blueprints for the validation. Necessary Firewalls can be opened by the Akriano Community on request.
All Validation labs should be available most of the year for the community use and if the lab is not used for validation more than 3 consecutive months then it will be removed from the community list.
Hardware and Network configuration used within the Validation labs should be declared and information should be documented in the wiki
All the Validation labs addition, modifications or removable need to be approved by TSC
All historic results (minimum of 1 year) of blueprint validation, Applications and VNF testing should be maintained in the wiki.

3.2.2.3.2.1   Blueprint testing
The test plan and associated test cases to validate the blueprint will be published on the Akraino wiki and reviewed by blueprint stakeholders.
The lab configuration should support functional, performance, security, and other test cases for the blueprint and cover the full stack for the blueprint.
Any license or support beyond the Community supplied software should be funded, owned and operated by the Validation supplier
Open source test tools and vendor tools with appropriate configurations should drive test traffic profiles that mimic in-scope use cases.  Akraino coordinators will engage upstream open source communities to get access to upstream community labs for the Akraino blueprint test team.  The submitter is responsible to establish access to necessary vendor labs.

3.2.2.3.2.2   Application and VNF testing
Akraino blueprint releases ensure that applications and virtual network functions (VNFs) can on-board and operate effectively on the Akraino solution. Validation labs can be further used for the validation of Edge applications and VNFs.
Application and VNF testing may take a number of forms including performance, scalability, security and usability, resilience etc.
Submission of results to the Akriano community is optional in case of commercially sensitive applications.

Thank you,
Tina ^ ^

On Dec 5, 2019, at 2:24 PM, Thomas Nadeau via Lists.Akraino.Org <tnadeau=redhat.com@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Andrew Wilkinson via Lists.Akraino.Org <andrew.wilkinson=ericsson.com@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,

I also feel it would be more appropriate to consider introducing a Feature Project to enable smart NIC support in Akraino BPs in general but (and) then I also think we do need to introduce specific NIC integrations in to specific BPs (both plural). Akraino after all is fundamentally about blueprints that are actual definitive integrated and deployment validated HW+SW stacks (i.e. deployment proven HW+SW integration projects).

That is going to add another dimension of complexity to the BPs that gets amplified with testing, etc...  Are we sure we want to include them
directly in the BPs or just in the CI/testing later?

--Tom

Why do I think both are needed? - The reason I also include support for specific NICs in specific BPs is because an Akriano Blueprint is by definition a project that validates the integration of HW and SW and validation means proving an actual configuration of HW & SW works and does what is claimed (the CD logs we use judge successful BP deployments are the ultimate proof of successful deployment of a given configuration).

Of course there can be (1) multiple individual BP POD validations each with a given single homogenous HW configuration or (2) a single validation of multiple HW variants in the same POD (running the same SW stack) but both scenarios requires an actual physical deployment to prove it works.

Andrew